Saturday, November 9, 2013

Time Passes like a river

The first memory I can recall is being held in the saddle of a charger and jumping fences. Also several glimpses of my mother's pale face as I come screaming by. Most of what I remember most about my childhood was my father being insistent that I be given every opportunity that every other boy is presented with.
As soon as I was suckled from my mother's breast, I was whisked away to learn what it was to be a boy and a prince. I do not remember ever seeing a doll or a child's dress until I was 8 years old. All I knew was to be found in the rooms of my apartment (adjacent to my father's side of the royal apartment). I had to wear whatever was considered fashionable and was currently being worn by the other princes in 9 kingdoms. My playmate were other boys- mostly sons of King Dev's knights and hunting friends. For all intents and purposes I was raised to be boy, well not a boy but really to be a prince.
My hair was cut short and never allowed to get longer than a few inches. It did not take long to suspect that there were things that were odd and that I was not being told the whole truth of things. The other boys avoided talking about certain things. They would even mess up and say something like.
"She's really a girl." Sir Regibald's son, Frankfurt.
"Who is?" Sir Bart's son, Bart.
"She is." Frankfurt then points at me.
"Who? Charlie? but he's a boy."
"No, she is not a boy."
"Is not."
"Is so"
This went on for pages and pages until I just deleted it and summarize the rest as yelling, scuffling, punching and ear pulling when I pull the two of them apart.
"What is going on?" I say.
"He started it!" Bart says.
"Liar!" Frankfurt says.
"He said you are a girl!" Bart says
"I did not." Frankfurt says then "I DID NOT!" full scream as he has just spotted his father striding across the yard.
"Forgive me My La-ahem Prince." Sir Regibald says coming up and grabbing his son's arm. "Something pressing has arisen and I must be taking Frankfurt home right now."
"Did you just call her a-" Frankfurt asks even as he get's pulled away. The rest of that conversation is in an angry whisper with Frankfurt glaring at me and his father almost pleading with his son while threatening him at the same time. Finally Regibald slaps Frankfurt hard across the face and says something.
All I hear is "exile" and then Frankfurt's eyes go wide and he bursts into tears and has to be carried out of the yard.
I never see Frankfurt for nearly 10 years.
I was six.
I barely remembered it. Frankfurt had never forgotten it.
"What was that about?" Bart says.
"Hmph, nothing. Let's go steal some meat pies from the Hall." I say and we run off.


No comments:

Post a Comment