Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Problem with Princesses Part I.

So after I got Grimm untied and helped the boys out of the pot we agreed that the best plan was to beat feet and go back to Ankora and buy a Dragon's head and tell dad that we were successful and never talk about this again although I am fairly sure I wasn't convincing since I had this big silly grin on my face the whole time.

Escape proved to be a bit harder than everyone thought since the "kitchen' was in a maze of warrens within the ruined castle - you know I never appreciated what a warren was until then? I mean you hear people talk about them but until you are lost in one it's just not the same kind of thing.

"Would you please focus, Lassie?"

"Shut up Rabbit Stew."

"I am going to regret not kicking you off that cliff, Lassie."

I am guffawing at this point. Alone, since the gravy soaked guards are edging away from Grimm.
I only stop when we hear the Dragons coming.
Yep, I said Dragons.
We run. I actually am fast for my age and size.
"It's because yer a stinking girl!" Grimm yells from the back.
"You're just jealous!" I laugh.

Given the fact that we are all about to die, i am deliriously happy for some reason. So happy that it takes me awhile to realize that I turned left and the men turned right. I am completely lost in this warren of caves, tunnels and stairs.
Wait, stairs means up.
So I race up stairs and come to admire that having long legs has some distinct advantages as Grimm yells
"Stairs! I hate bloody stairs!" from somewhere off to my left.
The stairs start to spiral upward and then I am on them as they run around the edge of a turreted wall going around a large hole that might be a tower. Well no where to go but up. the empty space is quite large but I spot a door going out at the top of the stairs going out. As I open it and step into the portal the air shivers around me and a large scaled shape rips up behind me soaring straight up through the space. The air blows my hair around and I stumble out onto a parapet above a courtyard.
"Dammit!" comes a yell from the opposite wall where there is a pallisade covering it. I catch a glimpse of Grimm moving very, very fast through it, a few steps ahead of Kreos who is in full charge.

"Fuke!" I hear this below and glance over down to the courtyard where three brown figures are running in several directions as a large shape plummets past me and slams into the cobble stones sending everything shaking as Mom the Dragon lands in their collective middle as they scatter away from her. She is the biggest Dragon I have ever seen.  Which only makes two now, but I have decided two is enough. I do what any noble prince would do in this case, I almost yell to catch the Dragon's attention, then think better of it and head back indoors to avoid embarrassing myself with a silly thing like heroics.
One small problem, can't find another door.
After a rather fruitless search, I stop place my hands on my hips and consider my options.
That is when I hear an audible chuckle behind me
I say audible like a bullhorn being blown right behind me.
I spin around to find Kreos glaring at me with a bandage on his chin which is to say Grimms cloak is tied in place over my knick in his cheek.
I figure I have about 20 yards and 4 seconds to do something amazing.
I wave and stick out my tongue.
Says this for Prince Charlie the Brave, Say she's spunky when the going gets rough.
By the time you do say it I will be make dust down a random parapet wall headed for what turns out to be a dead end which is to say the wall stops in a gaping hole and the door I was aiming for is about 30 feet out over the abyss leading into a very sturdy looking tower.
For the first time in my probably soon to be very short life I just run faster and accept that I will never make that jump no matter what. At least, I will be long dead before I hit the gully floor and die bouncing off the rocks. Unless the Dragon catches me mid jump and bites my head off, of course.
I am at full run and jump out into space in armor.


My understanding of physics is limited to how far an arrow will probably go and how many times I can poke a bullfrog with a stick before he hops away.
In other words I jump about 8 feet and plummet to my death.
I hate everyone at this point.

Save the Dragon does try to snatch me from the air and misses catching me but manages to hit me in such a way that I am propelled in a fairly graceful arch back up and over the abyss right to the door which opens right as I reach it and I am face to face with a pretty surprised guy as I slam into him and we fall into the interior of the tower safely away from the cursing Dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment